Buy smart and save with discounts ×

Unread Content Counter

Adriano

• Administrator

Unread Content Counter

Based on the Unread Content stream, this application will display how many unread items you have on the board. The counter is linked to the Unread Content stream.

Settings:

• Display counter when there is no unread content
  • Display "99+" instead of a very long number if the user has a lot of unread content items.
  • Cache time (in minutes)
  • Show counter to chosen groups

Per user configuration:

• Option in the Account Settings for the user to disable the counter display, just in case they want to.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Yes, too much items. Mark forum as read and then the counter will fit.

Or change the CSS of the plugin to your needs, like decreasing the font size. In the CSS it is font-size: 12px;.

• Administrator

You can add in custom.css (ACP -> Customization -> click in the Edit HTML and CSS button of your theme -> CSS tab -> custom.css) or edit the .ucc and .uccmobile.

• Like 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

Can you update it?

Sorry, it's not always that I remember

What's New in Version 1.0.1:

• Reset counter right after mark site read.
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

What's New in Version 1.1.0

Enhancement:

• Counter reset when the user clicks on the MARK SITE READ link

Instructions:

Simply install the application and it will take care of everything:

• Will copy the settings
  • Will uninstall the plugin

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

What's New in Version 1.1.1

• Adds the Update Check URL to let you know when a new version is available.

• 3 months later...

I have a suggestion for this one perhaps.

We installed this yesteday and many of our members are complaining because of the huge big numbers (some 10,000+) but many in the 3-4,000. 

What about making it just show up to 99+?

Does it really need a specific number once it's over 100?

It would look neater, and I think it existing is actually getting people to check the unread content, but I don't think it need to have exact numbers once the amount gets huge. Just a thought.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Emediate said:

We installed this yesteday and many of our members are complaining because of the huge big numbers (some 10,000+) but many in the 3-4,000. 

Can you share a screenshot? I never thought someone would have that large number of unread items.

I had 13,000+ when I first installed it. Obviously on a large board you won't read every single post, and often I never even look at some sub-forums. I hit Mark as Read, and by this morning it's now already back up to 93.

I think it is worthwhile at encouraging people to click it as many still don't navigate a forum by using the "Unread Content" function. This should transition people into browsing that way.

• Like 1

I'd prefer just 99+ to be honest. Anyone with more than that clearly doesn't browse the site in that way.

Also, it would be handy to make this display an option in the Account Settings. It seems many of our members don't like it because of the huge numbers.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Emediate said:

Also, it would be handy to make this display an option in the Account Settings. It seems many of our members don't like it because of the huge numbers.

Do you mean add an option to the user disable it?

• Administrator

Nice. Will update the file here.

What's New in Version 1.1.2   

Released Just now

• Add a new setting to display "99+" instead of the very long number if the user has a lot of unread content items.
  • Add a new option in the Account Settings for the user to disable the counter display, just in case they want to.
  • Like 1

• Administrator

I see it doesn’t work in some templates from Ehren, from example. The Jquery isn’t finding the proper CSS or element to be fired. Test in the default template and you’ll see it work.

It's not hiding the counter, if your setting is enabled. This indeed needs to be done.